The demo amp is taking shape... the chassis is back from laser engraving and milling, the back panel is assembled, and the PCBs have been made.
Some photos for now.
The amp main board.
About 10 hours design work went into this at the PC in several sessions. Then another hour on the exposure and etching (hooray for the new Etching Tank!) then about two hours on the drill press (I do this all manually and this one has about 346 holes) then about four hours stuffing and soldering.
- The right-hand third of this board is the phono/RIAA stage.
- Bottom half of the left two-thirds is the Active tone controls
- Top half of the left two-thirds is the gain and phase splitter stages
The tubes are at 50mm spacing. As you can see it's a single-sided board. The unfilled holes at the bottom left (in this view) are for the phase correction in the NFB loop. These component values will be determined by experimentation
The total size of this board is 160 X 100mm (or 4" X 6.25" if you insist)
I'm using Soviet military NOS surplus tubes which I found a supply of. So this is configured for 6N1 / 6N2 tubes.
We also have a power supply. This one is a bit of a squeeze because I had a 100 X 100mm cutoff bit of PCB which I thought of using. Ideally it should be bigger but I didn't feel like cutting anything.
The supply contains my usual start-up delay (that's the IC and relay you can see) where the AC power to the rectifier diodes is switched on after about 25 sec, to give the tubes warm-up time. I've also got my usual 2-colour LED driver (it reverses the polarity to the LED when the B+ power comes on, turning the LED from Red to Green. I designed this in the last amp and I liked it, so I bought a few 2-colour LEDs and this can now be a permanent feature in my designs)
Touch the capacitor with blue writing and you'll jump across the room. These are 2 caps of 470µF in series (since they're only rated 250V and my B+ is 330). They have Balancing Resistors.
The cap lying down is too high to fit into the case upright. It's 47000µF at 10V, it's for the DC heater supply for the phono stage. The top right semiconductors are the schottky rectifiers for it (since I'm using the 5V secondary for this, low voltage drop diodes will keep my filament supply within voltage spec)
Loving how clean the tracks are using the new etching tank
Finally there's the chassis. The drilling and punching was done by hand on the top panel, since this is a one-off the setup time on the CNC would have been not worth it. If I am gonna make 5 of these amps then I'll CNC it.
The front panel is adhesive vinyl, laser-cut then peeled, and then there's three coats of clear lacquer to protect the vinyl letters.
Not all of the controls are installed yet.
This one will have a motor-driven remote controlled volume and the input selector is a Rotary Encoder which will cycle through the inputs, with indicator lights to show the selection. The knob will also push to turn the main power on. This is also accessible through the remote control, the perspex window for which is to the left of the volume control.
Around the back
The back panel, nothing especially amazing here. The lettering is laser-etched into the aluminium.
The transformers will be Hammond. 370FX for power and 1650E for OPTs.
More photos as the build progresses.